Is your house on the market now? Here are some showing tips for sellers in Greenwood & Center Grove that we share with our clients. Do these to present your home as the best choice for buyers!
- Assign jobs ahead of time so the family can take action when a showing is scheduled.
- Make sure the yard is manicured and the drive and walkways are swept clean.
- Store garden tools, bicycles, kid’s toys and athletic equipment out of sight.
- Keep cars in the garage, not in the driveway or in front of the house.
- Open all the window shades, shutters and draperies to let in maximum light.
- Use the appropriate wattage in lighting – not dark and not too bright.
- Install mirrors to magnify the feeling of light and openness.
- Turn on lights throughout the house including the closets, basement and garage.
- Install track lights in dark areas to provide indirect lighting.
- For evening showings, turn on the front porch light and other outdoor lighting.
- Everything in your home should be spotless.
- Neatness makes a room easier to view. So, make sure all the rooms are tidy.
- Store toys out of the main living areas – in the children’s rooms.
- In the bathrooms, clean the sinks, floors and baths. Put out fresh towels.
- In the kitchen, put away all dishes and clean the countertops and sinks.
- Start a fire in the fireplace in the fall or winter months.
- Light a candle or two to create a peaceful atmosphere.
- Keep fresh flowers and rich green plants throughout the house
- Avoid spray fragrances or room deodorizers which may be offensive to some buyers.
- Light a scented candle to create a pleasant fragrance.
- Grind fresh lemon in the garbage disposal or boil cinnamon sticks to add a fresh scent.
- Open the windows to air out the odor of strong-smelling foods, smoke or pets.
- Play beautiful, soft, romantic, instrumental background music.
- Everybody loves the sound of water. Turn on the garden fountains.
- Turn off the television and radio because they are a distraction to buyers.
- Run your washer, dryer and dishwasher at times when your home is not being shown.
- Keep the windows closed if there is road or other exterior noise at your house.
- Leave the house during showings.
- Keep pets out of the way or better yet – take them for a walk during the showing.
- Put all your jewelry and valuables out of sight.
- Store prescription drugs in a private place.
- Be sure the property brochures are in a conspicuous place for buyers to see.
- Leave neighborhood information and HOA newsletters near the property brochures.
- Don’t discuss any negative features of your home with the prospective buyers